FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 MPE deleted all my pictures Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
unicoded

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 24, 2014 06:59 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I have checked the option to delete pictures after back up.

Now, after a nice trip where I took over 1GB of amazing pictures (no shit), i did a pictures back up with MPE. pictures took a while to transfer... but then they are no where to be found on my computer or my phone now

I am using recovery files software, and on the sdcard all the pictures are overwritten, but there is nothing about them on my HDD, which means they were never copied to the computer

I could have never imagined this software could do this shit. I am aware of how lousy the other backup functions are (i already commented on that before), but .. damn, delete and overwrite all my pictures without making sure they have been saved somewhere else???

Could anyone provide some tips on how to get my pictures back?
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
unicoded

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 24, 2014 07:05 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

the pictures on ext sdcard are all totally overwritten
I cannot recover even one!!!!!!!

how the xxx is this possible

how the xxx xxx mpe deletes all AND OVERWRITES without saving the files anywhere else

i cant believe this yet. please prove me wrong.. help me locate the pictures (dont tell me the temp dir, cause there are not there now.. plus, they have never been there)

Help
dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Jan 24, 2014 12:09 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Seems MPE puts the files into .../My Documents/My Pictures/<username from MPE> .... by default. Have you looked there?

Top tip: NEVER delete anything until you've checked the backup!!!

unicoded

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 25, 2014 04:56 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

i can confirm that MPE xxx up all my pictures

the pictures were never copied to anywhere

i could have accepted an error on my side. ignoring a warning or something like that.. but no. nothing wrong on my side

and the worst part is that during the multi file synch i saw that MPE started to copy 800 MB of files to my phone that it should not copy (because no changes to those files had been made during the last months) but yet, i allowed it (i did not abort the synch process)
those 800mb of junk files is what MPE used to overwrite my (you guess) 800 mb of pictures. Wow! curiously same size! so efficient, no picture left without being overwritten

i never imagined i would have to say this but...xxx MPE. not sure if it is lousily coded .. or coded wrong on purpose. but MPE is certainly crap software. I wasted a lot of time discovering its bugs and dangers (it does many things, but it does not do even 1 xxx single thing right)
i was finally only using MPE for file syncing (yeah, i got lazy to dev my own scripts) and it had to delete all my pictures so that i finally realize that MPE is a complete piece of crap
FJ should show a huge disclaimer that says that when people install this crap. something like: "This software is an absolute piece of crap and the moment you trust it to deal with your data it will xxx you up and lose it all or worse making you waste time when you try to figure out how to recover your data"
dvhttn

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 25, 2014 10:46 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

unicoded hat Folgendes geschrieben:
I have checked the option to delete pictures after back up. ....

Sorry, but why would you do that if the only copy you had was on your phone??? That is where the problem lies. You go on about how cr*p the SW is but I've been using it for 3 years and never had a problem, as have many others. Sorry if you've lost loads of pictures but I would look at why you seem to have loads of problems with MPE when most other people have none ....

unicoded

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 25, 2014 21:59 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Pictures are supposed to be copied to cache before being copied to destination dir. In the event that destination was not available, pictures should at least be copied to cache or MPE should notice the event and dont delete data as it has not been copied successfully to destination.
I mean, it is xxx hard that you lose your data if MPE works as it is supposed to. You could even delete cache after exiting MPE (i haven't yet closed MPE), but then if you immediately find out that pictures were not only not copied to destination but also deleted from sdcard (like i did) you should still b able to recover them from cache as there is no way they could have been overwritten there.

But the twisted shit that MPE did was this:
- not copying the 800 mb pictures to anywhere, not even cache. (this is the point i really can't puzzle out, because it took a while to "transfer" the 800mb of pictures to... nowhere? and yes i have run deep surface scans on all drivers)
- deleting the pictures after the transference was done (i clicked on ok as apparently everything went as it should. at this point pictures should have been copied to cache)
- during the last multi synch task, copied data from my computer overwriting every single picture

factor that created an unusual situation that possibly made MPE behave like shit:
- the xxx up occurred while doing a multi file synch whose last task takes a while because it mirrors a folder containing hundreds or thousands of mp3 and pdf files from a disk drive to the phone.
while performing the last task (a mere dir comparison which involved no changes because the dir had been untouched for months) the phone lost usb connection. I aborted the multi synch and launched it again because i wanted to delete the files on the phone (other than pictures) that had been copied to my computer (this is a task that is done at the end of the multi file synch)
On the second run, during the last task, 800mb of files inside the mirrored dir where copied to the sdcard (i also know that it's these files that overwrote the pictures because recovery software states so)

@dvhttn
- as stated above, pictures are supposed to be copied to cache, so there is at least one backup before they get deleted from phone (also notice that they should not have been overwritten on the phone)
- i also use this software from 2011
- seems that you did not read my previous post regarding timestamps and unicode problems. if you had you could probably answer why i find problems where others just use the software unconsciously. it is because i know how mpe works (its bugs and limitations) that this is the first time i lose data because of MPE.
You are not really backing up a xxx sms or call log with MPE.. do u know that? maybe not because you dont change your timezone frequently? and you dont find out that all your db get screwed up when u change the default character encoding for programs not supporting unicode cause you dont need unicode support?

i m so angry i could xxx kill somebody (i do not need to explain how some pictures or data can be so important). still, i think it is fair to ask "where the xxx is the Known bugs or Known limitations page?". i think it is irresponsible not to warn users that can potentially use this software for backup purposes of the dangers MPE comes with
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa März 01, 2014 00:46 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I understand that you are angry - and i am very sorry for your problems you have now.

But honestly i have to say i have never heard about this issue. Especially when MyPhoneExplorer does delete files on your phone he will warn you, but you can also disable this warning in the settings of photo-sync / file sync. And if you select the setting "Delete files after transfer" then MPE does double check if the file does exist on the PC before the deletion is done.

How did you sync the photos in general. Did you use "Photo sync" or did you set up a general "File sync job" in MyPhoneExplorer ?

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
unicoded

BeitragVerfasst am: So Jun 12, 2016 15:40 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

just want to say sorry for the words I used and being such an asshole
I never got to know what really happened. The problem was most likely on the android side.

now I am unable to transfer pics. For each pic, a temp file is created in Windows user temp folder, and for an instant, these temp files (usually named MPE****) increase their size by the size of each corresponding pic before being deleted so that a new temp file is created.

I bet this is due to the app not having access to the pics in the external sdcard because I have recently encrypted it.

I guess sometimes changes on the phone can affect MPE in unpredictable ways...
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.