FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Max number of texts causes crash (bug report) Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
MPEIssues

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Feb 02, 2015 21:02 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi all,

I've submitted this to the email address on the main site as a bug report also. Just figured I'd post it here as well in case anyone has come across it and knows any solutions.

I use MyPhoneExplorer with a Samsung Galaxy S5 and my computer primarily for sending, receiving and organising text messages.

I use this phone for business purposes, so I have a very large number of texts - currently around 30,000 (including incoming and outgoing).

I regularly use the "Create Backup" function to back up my contacts and text messages. However I recently noticed that as soon as I try to create a backup, the program crashes immediately to desktop - it just shuts down with no error messages etc.

I tried the phone on a couple of different computers and Windows partitions, all with the same effect. By selectively ticking and unticking various backup boxes, I discovered that it's the SMS messages backup that causes the crash - as soon as the phone hits the end of the messages, it crashes.

I noticed that the number of texts on my phone had reached 32,900. Being aware of base-2 limits, I was curious whether the program was limited to 2 bytes / 32768 messages.

To test this, I deleted some old messages until I was under that limit - around 28,000. I tried the backup again and it worked perfectly, no problems.

I'm not a programmer (although I work in I.T. and completed a basic programming course in college, back in the day) but I suspect the program is assigning 2 bytes as a unique message identifier. When the program tries to read a message number higher than 32,768, I assume that's when it crashes. Buffer overflow/stack overflow or something like that I believe the term is?

Anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of this limitation, if you didn't already know. For the time being I'll try to keep the number of messages pruned, but I'd appreciate if you could patch the program to support more than 32,768 messages Smile.

Tech info:

Model of your phone: Samsung Galaxy S5
Type of connection: Cable - USB
MPE Version: 1.8.6
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate. Tested on two PCs and two partitions on one PC.
Firmware Version: Not sure at the moment as I don't have the phone to hand. Will update this post within a few hours when I get access to it again.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
MPEIssues

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Dez 29, 2015 23:10 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Sorry to bump an old thread - I just emailed FJ about this but I thought it best to make a post A) as an update to this old issue and B) in case he's changed his email and/or would be more likely to see this issue posted on the forum.

I did contact FJ about the issue posted above back in February and he very kindly fixed the bug - basically text messages are assigned a 2 byte unique identifier, so when more than 32,000 messages are loaded from the phone (over 2 bytes for UIDs), the program crashed.

FJ fixed the issue and MPE continued to back up correctly, and all was well.

Unfortunately, today I accidentally deleted all the texts from my phone due to a finger misslip combined with not paying attention, so I went to restore from a backup that I made yesterday, and... It crashed when trying to load the restore list from the file.

Since it's exactly the same symptoms as before, I suspect it's the same problem but in the /restoring/ end rather than the /backup/ end. I.e. the problem was fixed for backing up but not for restoring more than 32k contacts.

FJ - if you see this and would be kind enough to check this out and issue a patch if this is the case, I would be forever in your debt - thank you!! If you can fix this issue for me I will definitely send a donation as I use MPE all the time and get a lot of use out of it - thank you!
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.