FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 MPE just stopped working after splash screen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
Sean01

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi März 26, 2014 14:38 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hi

I've been using MPE every day, got home tonight, it no longer starts up -- it displays the splash screen, momentarily shows an icon in the system tray, then nothing. You can see icon in the system tray, but as soon as you mouse over it, it disappears.

V 1.8.5 running on Windows 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 15R-SE.

Tried downloading again and reinstalling over the top, it succeeded, but the same problem. Removed the app and reinstalled, same problem.

The only odd thing is that I plugged a friend's mobile into the laptop half an hour earlier, MPE seemed to pop up saying it was a Sony Ericsson, it offered to pair to the phone, I cancelled, and the app stopped working some time after that. The phone is made by ZTE company, and needs 'Join Me' software to download, can't be accessed as a native USB memory device or anything, it's a 'Telstra T95' rebadged by a local phone company. Very basic phone. Shouldn't break the software!

A warm boot and cold boot of the laptop hasn't helped either.

It doesn't matter now what's connected on USB, MPE won't launch beyond the splash screen. Other apps launch OK still.

I upgraded to Outlook 2007 from 2003 a few weeks ago, but it was working OK for that time.

Any ideas?
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
Sean01

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo März 31, 2014 02:55 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

MPE is DOWN! down I tell you
RonCam

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo März 31, 2014 11:39 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

This suggestion is for the OS version I'm running -- I'm running Windows 7 Pro.

Question Are you able to boot your version of MS Windows in Safe Mode -- or its equivalent, assuming it's still a feature, or hasn't been renamed? Then, once again attempt to run MPE.

See if you can at least get enough functionality that you can view locally-stored information from your 'last good' session. This would only be whatever's stored in MPE or a synced iCal file -- this won't load the drivers necessary to sync with the phone -- but if MPE functions normally this far, this will point you in the right direction for further troubleshooting.

I would like for someone with technical information on MPE to 'chime in' to confirm whether or not MPE could be tested in this way.

For anyone to say other than 'try this' and 'try that' -- they would have to be able to duplicate your problem on another system. That could be difficult, and maybe that's why you're not getting definitive responses. Personally, if what you describe happened to me, I would suspect the operating system or its filesystem had been 'compromised'. Twisted Evil

Or, look at the first sentence of the 'fix' in this post. It's for a completely different problem, but perhaps that will do the trick -- if your operating system, files and filesystem are all intact.

Sean01

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo März 31, 2014 12:14 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

thanks Roncam. A series of Windows 8 updates had also come down around that time, but if they affected the app, they would have affected anyone running 8.1. I suppose safemode is an option, if you suspect malware or similar, although the events don't suggest malware, nor did I go anywhere unusual where I might get malware...
Sean01

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo März 31, 2014 15:17 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

OK, I fixed it by biting the bullet and doing a complete uninstall including wiping the data files -- I'd hoped to be able to preserve them.

However, I had a sneaking suspicion that maybe a corruption of some sort in the data files was causing the program to crash on load -- that's not very well behaved software!!!!

Once I reinstalled, MPE 1.8.5 now comes up OK. It took 20 seconds to resync the phone contents. Had to reset all my preferences of course, and reinstate Outlook syncing, which makes syncing take much longer...
RonCam

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo März 31, 2014 17:44 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Very Happy Glad the second method worked. The first was only diagnostic, anyway, and wouldn't have fixed anything.

Personally, if I had that experience, I'd now run a CHKDSK on that same drive, and do it in such a way that you can see on-screen (or read, in a log) exactly what it found.

FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Apr 22, 2014 23:15 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

This was a confirmed bug of 1.8.5, it happens when there is a very long user profile folder in the datafolder of MPE (which happens when you accidentially connect to a build in UMTS modem). If it happens again then install the current beta: http://www.fjsoft.at/files/MyPhoneExplorer_DebugUpdate.exe

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
Sean01

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Apr 23, 2014 03:00 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

FJ hat Folgendes geschrieben:
This was a confirmed bug of 1.8.5, it happens when there is a very long user profile folder in the datafolder of MPE (which happens when you accidentially connect to a build in UMTS modem). If it happens again then install the current beta: http://www.fjsoft.at/files/MyPhoneExplorer_DebugUpdate.exe

Thanks for this, FJ admin.

A side effect of using a number of versions of MPE with Outlook is that it has started to create multiple identical entries in Contacts and Appointments -- obviously it's a nuisance to sift through and delete various random multiples manually, one at a time -- is there a convenient utility etc that can remove multiples you know about? Can MPE remove multiples? This is really the subject for another topic...
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.