FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 sync issue with TB/lightning. main cal don't work, anothr do Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
evero
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Apr 26, 2007 21:31 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I thought I had everything up and running perfectly, but then I realise that syncing with my real google calendar (via lightning and google cal provider) failed in MyPhoneExplorer.

The strange thing is:
I have two calendars in lightning syncing from google calendar:
- maincalendar
- secondary calendar

syncing only the secondary calendar with myphoneexplorer works perfectly. this is a light calendar though, with only a few entrys.

the problem is syncing my main calendar. the progressbar shows up, standing still halfway on the pogressmeter for about 9 secs, and then I get the errormessage: Error... Loading entries from Thunderbird failed!

I have tried to eliminate the causes of failure by:
- limit to one calendar at the time
- force thunderbird -> phone to avoid conflicts
- limit sync events with 1 day before today and 10 days ahead

I really hope someone can help me on this. Without my main calendar it's not any useful :-/

thanks alot!

I'm running:
thunderbid 2.0
lightning 0.5pre (build 2007042304)
google calendar provider 0.1.1
myphoneexplorer 0.7.6 extension

myphoneexplorer 0.5.9
NP
Co-Developer

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Apr 26, 2007 21:43 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

OK, try the following procedure:

- Select ONLY the calendar with the syncing problem in MPE. (MPE 1.5.9 unfortunately has a bug regarding multiple calendars selected for sync...)

- Start Thunderbird.

- Open a command line window, go into the thunderbird program directory and execute the following command:

thunderbird -mpe export-items=c:\items.txt

If the export works, you should have a text file C:\items.txt containing all your calendar items in MPE encoding.

If you do not have the file, then some errormessage should show in the thunderbird javascript error console. Post it here if you get an error.

evero
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Apr 26, 2007 23:17 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Following your instructions, the items.txt contains the calendar data in MPE encoding (at least I think).
the first line is:
AddOn-Version=0.7.6

then every new line start with:
ITYPE:EVENT;CALID:http=3A//www.google.com/calendar/feeds/.......(private info)
573 lines in total

I don't know what this means, some invalid code in the .ics data from google calendar?

thanks again!
NP
Co-Developer

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 27, 2007 10:02 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

No, this looks correct. The file should contain all events in your calendar, one per line. Does the number of lines match the number of events in your Google calendar?

If yes, can you tell me how long it took for thunderbird to write the file? The problem is, MPE has a 10 second timeout built into the sync process, if the extension takes longer to write the events, this might be the cause of the problem.

Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 27, 2007 12:26 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

NP hat Folgendes geschrieben:
No, this looks correct. The file should contain all events in your calendar, one per line. Does the number of lines match the number of events in your Google calendar?

If yes, can you tell me how long it took for thunderbird to write the file? The problem is, MPE has a 10 second timeout built into the sync process, if the extension takes longer to write the events, this might be the cause of the problem.

I don't know any way too count all the events in google calendar easely, but I downloaded the original ical file from google calendar, and it contained about 579 lines, so I guess it's ok.

I took the time for the events.txt to be created: aprox. 35 seconds! So I guess that is the reason. But isn't that a little strange with so long time? The total .ics file is about 270kb.
Also, because I limit the events to 1 day before, 10 days after in the sync process, shouldn't that help?

Or is there another workaround?
evero
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 27, 2007 12:28 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

oops. I guess I should register in the forum. guest / gast = me.
thanks for helping!
NP
Co-Developer

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 27, 2007 12:35 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Unfortunately, the data size is not the limiting factor. In order to be compatible with arbitrary Lightning calendar types, I use the Calendar API to get at the calendar data. When reading data from the calendar, I use the call getItems for the specific calendar provider - if it takes that long, I can't do much about it. Limiting the time range in MPE is irrelevant, because MPE always gets ALL events from the Mozilla calendar - the time window only limits what is transfered to your mobile phone.

Unfortunately I can't change the timeout in MPE; we will have to wait until FJ returns from his holiday.

The only other thing you can do is ask the programmer of the Google calendar provider to improve the performance.

evero
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 27, 2007 15:36 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

NP hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Unfortunately I can't change the timeout in MPE; we will have to wait until FJ returns from his holiday.

The only other thing you can do is ask the programmer of the Google calendar provider to improve the performance.

ok, my workaround for now was to make a backup of my main calendar in google, import it as a new calendar in googlecalendar (for archive purpose), and then delete all the past events in my main calendar, to cut the filesize.

so now it works (but I guess this problem will come back when the main calendar gets too big again). but by then, i hopefully have a faster computer/CPU, so it will process data faster anyway and/or the timelimit is adjustable in MPE. so I guess this ain't a big issue in the future.
I guess it's not realistic to ask the programmer of google cal provider to increase performance (at least for now), because it work pretty fast in lightning itself, and there are other issues that is more prominent (read below).

Over to the next problem (always a problem Shocked )
Maybe this is a known issue, but recurring events from google calendar / lightning dosn't show up at all in MPE.
Recurring events made in google calendar, show up in lightning. But it doesn't sync to MPE.
On the other hand, recurring events made in lightning (still using google cal provider), does sync with MPE, BUT that is because in fact it is not a recurring event, just a single event.

This seems to be a bug in the google cal provider (
see this link and then bug 362650), hopefully beeing worked on. Does it mean that it will work in MPE aswell when this bug is fixed and handled correctly by lightning / google cal provider??

It is very common to use recuring events, and not beeing able to see them at all in the phone is a drawback. So if this thing get's fixed, it would really be perfect! But again, this is probably not MPE's fault. Just want to check if it will work when the bug is fixed on the mozilla side?

thanks again
NP
Co-Developer

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Apr 27, 2007 15:44 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

As recurring events work pretty will with the other calendar providers, I see no reason why this shouldn't work once the google provider is fixed... to the extent that your mobile phone supports them - recurring events with execeptions are currently not supported by Sony Ericsson, for example.

FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: So Apr 29, 2007 18:33 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I made a debug-release. In this version you can set the timeout for the interface manually. But please note that the phone can hold at max 300 appointments + 80 todos.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
evero
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: So Apr 29, 2007 23:50 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

great. thanks for your feedback!
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.