FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Post wishes, Feature requests here Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
Guillaume

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Sep 20, 2008 11:03 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

You could sync them with contact "groups", which makes it easy to mass-message people.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
weinbi

BeitragVerfasst am: So Sep 21, 2008 10:03 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Do you mean the groups inside the phone? It's technically not possible...

Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenICQ-Nummer
Guillaume

BeitragVerfasst am: So Sep 21, 2008 15:23 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Ok, so that's internal database stuff, just like the 'date sent' of sms's?
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: So Sep 21, 2008 20:42 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Yes - thats right
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
evero

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 22, 2008 00:17 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

This could seem like a little detail, but for me (and hopefully many others) it will really make MPE invaluable in terms of sync functionality.
(and sorry if this is already mentioned)

My wish in short: To make it possible to synchronize contacts from MPE with a defined contact list in the Thunderbird address book (in other words, not the whole addressbook). Alternatively (if it's much easier to implement) sync contacts from MPE with a gmail contact group).

I will try to explain my workflow to illustrate why this suggestion is important to me (and hopefully others). In my setup I have worked out a way to keep contacts and calendaring synchronized "all the way", with both online and offline capabilities:

- My SE mobile phone + MPE:
-> Synchronizes contacts with Thunderbird (and this sync doesn't require my computer to be online, read: on the road)
-> Synchronizes calendar with Google Calendar (I tried for a while to sync MPE directly with the Lightning calendar extension in Thunderbird to keep the "sync while offline capabaility", but it seemed to be less complications/issues by synchronizing directly with Google Calendar)

- Thunderbird:
-> Synchronizes contacts with Gmail via gContactSync
-> The Lightning extension (with the google calendar provider) pulls my google calendar nicely into my Thunderbird workflow, and makes me able to view my calendar while offline (on the road).

With this workflow* it's possible to have a fully synchronized workflow, both online from any computer, and offline with your own computer when your aren't connected to the internet.

* The only problem is that I don't want my whole contact list in thunderbird / gmail to stay on my phone. Simply because many of them only contain emailadresses or only clutter my phone addressbook (or simply overloads my phone address book - they have limited capacity).

So that's why I have to keep a list in thunderbird / contact group in gmail contacts that is supposed to sync to my mobile phone/MPE.
(I thought it would be possible to just add a separate addressbook in Thunderbird, but that would make it impossible to keep the synchronized workflow with the rest of my contacts (and email contacts) between thunderbird and gmail (via gContactSync)).

Sorry for my long post, strange explaining and bad english. I hope this can be considered (and maybe the setup I described would be of interest to other readers aswell.. - well, at least if this wish is possible to implement Smile Thanks anyways for making this program, will certainly donate.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 22, 2008 17:46 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Zitat:
To make it possible to synchronize contacts from MPE with a defined contact list in the Thunderbird address book

Its already possible to select the addressbook for syncing with Thunderbird. If this is not enought then you can add sync-exceptions.
evero

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 22, 2008 18:40 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

FJ hat Folgendes geschrieben:
Zitat:
To make it possible to synchronize contacts from MPE with a defined contact list in the Thunderbird address book

Its already possible to select the addressbook for syncing with Thunderbird. If this is not enought then you can add sync-exceptions.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if you understood what I tried to explain. The "missing feature" is to be able to sync MPE to a selected contact list within the address book in Thunderbird (in other words a handpicked selection of contacts). The sync exeption feature does kind of the same thing, but requires intervention in the sync extension settings every time you want to choose to exclude a contact from the sync list (which happens quite often). Instead, the same thing is possible to do by just maintaining a contact list within Thunderbird. The difference is very big in my eyes.

If this feature is possible to implement, MPE would behave like this:

Syncing after a new contact is added on mobile phone/MPE:
-> Contact gets added to the selected thunderbird address book contact list (let's call the list: contacts-that-sync-with-mobile, in short: ctswm). Ofcourse the new contact gets added to the address book itself.

Syncing after a new contact gets added in thunderbird address book and added to the ctswm contact list:
-> contact gets added to the mobile phone/MPE

Syncing after a new contact gets added in thunderbird address book, but not to the address book contact list ctswm:
-> nothing happens

And so on..

regards
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 22, 2008 19:17 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I don't think that this feature makes sense or better - its not important.
evero

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 22, 2008 20:41 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

To strongly simplify: I use gmail. I have a lot of contacts. My SE phone can't handle my whole gmail address book.. Isn't it easier to maintain a contact group in gmail thats syncs with MPE instead of syncing the whole gmail address book and spending a lot of time defining contact exeptions in MPE sync settings??

When using email I/(we?) get a very large number of contacts. So large amounts that MPE's aproach of defining contact exeptions when syncing doesn't work. When having great numbers of contacts, we need the opposite approach, by selecting the ones that we want to sync ("quality" contacts on the phone is important. We don't want to clutter the phone).

Managing a contact group for this, instead of going into MPE settings everytime I need to do changes is a matter of usability.

Ofcourse it's your call whether to implement or not, but I don't think it's right to reject the idea by saying "it doesn't make sense" (at least a little more detailed answer). Anyways, I'm very happy with MPE, and apreciate your efforts.

regards

Zuletzt bearbeitet von evero am Di Sep 23, 2008 09:54, insgesamt einmal bearbeitet
Daniel
Gast

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 23, 2008 09:28 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

It would be very helpful if you could make the "Install Java Application" feature behave more like SE Device Explorer.

I write software for my phone (SE K790) and am constantly needing to install a new 'jar' over the old 'jar'.
Device Explorer does this without popping up any windows on the phone.
With MyPhoneExplorer, the procedure is like this:
"Receiving ..."
"Application already exists. Replace?"
Yes...
"Please wait..."
"Application saved in ..."
Ok...
"Start now?"
Yes...

This is quite annoying.
I would really appreciate it if you could implement this.
It would really speed things up for me.

I can't use Device Explorer as it's so buggy and fails to connect allll the darn time, can't even install via USB (always fails), etc.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 23, 2008 10:18 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

@evero: Maybe i can add groupsupport for Google, cause there are currently no subfolders for syncing possible. I will check it. But Contact-List filtering for Thunderbird is still not planned

@Daniel: I'll check it
evero

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 23, 2008 11:18 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Maybe i can add groupsupport for Google, cause there are currently no subfolders for syncing possible. I will check it. But Contact-List filtering for Thunderbird is still not planned

That would be awesome! If it is possible to implement, the contact-list filtering for Thunderbird won't be needed anyway. The mentioned gContactSync extension supports contact groups in gmail, so maybe you can get som hints by looking at the code.
Really hope this is possible.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 23, 2008 15:25 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

@Daniel: Where did you see "Install Java Application" in the PC-Suite ? I could not find this option. Can you post a screenshot of it ?
Daniel

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 23, 2008 15:46 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

@Daniel: Where did you see "Install Java Application" in the PC-Suite ? I could not find this option. Can you post a screenshot of it ?

Oh sure!
You can drag-and-drop .jars into the right pane (Sony Ericsson MIDlet Favorites).
Then you can right click and there's the 'Install' option.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 23, 2008 18:59 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

@evero: I added now a Groupfilter for Contactsync with Google. The behavior of Groups is similar to Categories so its implemented as Category-Filter. Here you can get the beta for testing: http://www.fjsoft.at/files/MyPhoneExplorer_DebugUpdate.exe
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.