FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Outlook beta testing 1.4.16 : first impressions Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 04, 2006 17:56 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

General
- I've forced a Outlook->Phone priority in the calendar and contact sync, to ensure nothing is accidentaly deleted in Outlook; what happens on second sync? Same data in inserted again (duplicates) or skipped?

- Either when synching contacts or calendar items, in the confirmation dialog a button with 'Command3' caption appears on top of the regular 'abort sync' and 'Ok' button.

Outlook Contacts sync

- It looks like you've done a pretty good work here! Can select multiple folders, Outlook or Exchange.... WOW!

- It would be perfect if you could insert sync filtering based on categories. Dunno if difficult or not, but every contact can have multiple categories assigned to it; that is I have every unwanted contact flagged with a 'NoSync' category. Very useful when adding hundreds contacts to the phone, avoids confirming weather to sync or not each contact!

- Unfortunately while browsing what contacts to sync or not, the phone received a call and MPE crashed. At that point I've stopped the sync process! Could wait to test again when the category filter optin will be coded....or no way?

- BTW, are you synching Contacts note field? Very useful.

Outlook Calendar sync
- It worked but very slowly. Many long pauses between insertions in the phone, with ' Create appointment in the phone:xxxxxx' in the status bar.....(inserted 63 events so it shouldn't be a big amount of data that requires long insertion time......).

- No events in the phone after sync; events appear correctly in MPE calendar but not in the Phone.

Awaiting from you
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 04, 2006 19:26 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I'll think about the category-filter

Dublicates should be impossible with MyPhoneExplorer cause on every sync all Outlook-Items are searched to find the right entry.

Cause the slow sync with appointments. Do you use the K800 ? This phone is very slow Sad . Please try to insert some appointments in MyPhoneExplorer - disable Outlook-sync - then sync with the phone. If this is also slow it depends on the phone and i can do nothing to fix it.

No ebents on phone and the events appear in MPE ? I think this sould also be impossible - please give me further Information about that and restart your phone.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Mo Sep 04, 2006 21:59 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Yes I'm using a k800. But XTNDconnect is quite fast on the same phone when doing contact sync.

Have you got a debug version? If so you could ad debug output with timestamo to check what's happening.

I'll have a go tomoorow to check succesful calendar insertion
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 05, 2006 06:24 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

You can start MyPhoneExplorer with the parameter "debug". After connect you can access the debugwindow. The timestamps you can also see in the normal logfile.
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 05, 2006 11:25 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Ok did sync only Phone after inserting one item in calendar and no updates.

Then I've thought to start from scratch removing all events/contacts in MPE and in the phone like a "first time" usage. In this case I would suggest to give an option to the user to simply "empty" calendar/contacts straightfully, without having to select-all, mark for deletion and sync. The empty function simply deletes everything from phone and MPE.

Ok back to our test: deleted everything from phone and MPE. Exited MPE and restarted to have a clean log. Changed options to include Outlook 2003 into sync (calendar and contacts->Outlook overrides phone).

Now the sync worked, flawlessly. Maybe MPE gets confused by a preloaded phone?

A question: if you mark a contact as "never sync" how do you re-enable sync if you change up your mind?

Now the Calendar...... Ok! It works. Tryed also to delete an event in Outlook and synched again. Perfect!

One note: it looks like MPE takes a little time when checking Outlook items before doing the update. While it may be normal on first sync, it shouldn't take a lot on next syncs. Maybe to speed up the process you could store tha date of the last sync and proceed with items 'touched' after that date in Outlook instead of reading them all?

Nevertheless you're there, your doing a fantastic work!!!!!!
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 05, 2006 12:47 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Zitat:
A question: if you mark a contact as "never sync" how do you re-enable sync if you change up your mind?

Look at Outlook-Settings->Exeptions

On every sync all entrys of Outlook will be read. I know it takes time but it ensures that there are no duplicates.
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 05, 2006 14:19 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Zitat:
On every sync all entrys of Outlook will be read. I know it takes time but it ensures that there are no duplicates

I remember of early synching programs (Palm's Pilot) quite speedy after first pass... I don't know how Outlook API works but it may let you query 'modified since' items. If Outlook assigns a unique ID for each contact, you're done!
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 05, 2006 18:42 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Yes - in Outlook there is a search-routine to find Items modified after a specified date. The problem is if i do that i have to save a copy of the outlook-items as reference. And this is today not good (virus, trojans,...)
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Sep 05, 2006 19:11 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I think I've found a bug:
I've just populated my phone contacts with MPE/Outlook and discovered that MPE pulls out the leading '0' in the area code, if present.
Unfortuntally here in italy it is required...........hence I get errors from my phone provider due to missing '0' !!!!
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Sep 06, 2006 05:52 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Hy

I knew about the special areacode in italy, but simply had up to yet no time to implement this. Its also a problem with other countrycodes like USA which has only 2 digits (+1), some countrys have 3-digit-countrycodes. I will implement this as soon as possible.
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Sep 06, 2006 09:09 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Beware that I'm talking about the area code, not the international code.
I think you should have no problem copying straightfully international code, area code and phone number without modifications. If it is coded in that way in Outlook......

I can't see any reason to manipulate the values, but if you wish you could add a dialog (typical in fax software) where users can instruct MPE on treating international codes (maybe replacing the '+' with '00' or viceversa, and pulling out/replacing leading '0' in the area code...)

Ok, if it is a matter of days I'll wait for the next beta. I don't want to unload everything and start again with another program...... unless it will take longer (weeks?) ....

Cheers
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Sep 06, 2006 12:10 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Update should be avaiable in 2 or 3 days.
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Sep 07, 2006 16:49 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Zitat:
Yes - in Outlook there is a search-routine to find Items modified after a specified date. The problem is if i do that i have to save a copy of the outlook-items as reference. And this is today not good (virus, trojans,...)

Well I think you're allready saving some info because after the first sync, you're showing only the modified items... BTW in the last sync MPE showed a few unmodified contacts within a new one... is that normal?

I think it would really be a great feature to enable faster syncs on Outlook.... it would push MPE to almost a "real time" sync.... you could eventually enable a feature to autosync every n minutes...... but you need to find a way to avoid reading from start all events and contacts......
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Sep 07, 2006 17:34 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Yes - phones items are cached. But you should think a little bit more about this. I planned to add Outlook Express, Outlook, Rainlendar, Sunbird, Google,... in the sync-options. For every sync-app i would need a seperate file. Do you understand now ?

And "AutoSync" is an option which i don't want to hear anymore. I'm the user and i say if and when i do something with the phone. This option will be defintivly not implemented.
blutarsky

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Sep 07, 2006 19:10 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

* I did a second sync and still the 5 unmodified contacts populate the confirmation window.

* About the archive: you don't need a separate archive for each application (Outlook, Outlook express etc), simply use one archive with multiple 'columns'; some columns will be common usage and some will be application-specific. It will work unless you sync with multiple applications on the same computer..
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.