FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 "ICE" (Emergency number) doesn't seem properly han Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
wroom

BeitragVerfasst am: So Dez 11, 2011 21:16 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I noticed small bug (or maybe unimplemented feature) when receiving SMS if you have "ICE numbers" in your address book.

ICE numbers is a way for paramedics, police men etc to quickly get in touch with your relatives if they for instance find you unconscious and needs to get in touch with your friends/family.

Typically you have your wife "Jane Doe" with phone number 12345678 saved in your address book. Its difficult for a paramedic to guess who your wife is in your phone book if you have 150 contacts saved.

The convention here is to save an extra entry in your phone book named "ICE1 - Wife", "ICE2 - daughter", "ICE3-Boss" etc, but with the same number as the person to call.

A problem here is obviously if you receive a call or an SMS. How should the phone know whether to show "Jane Doe" or "ICE1-Wife" in the messaging application? (Both those entries have the same number) The trick is to add an asterisk '*' at the end of each ICE number. So in my case:

Jane Doe: 12345678
ICE1-Wife: 12345678*

The phone then ignores numbers ending with an asterisk when doing name lookup.

But for MyPhoneExplorer, all SMS from my wife are displayed with "ICE1-Wife" instead of "Jane Doe".

My suggestion is that you ignore names ending with asterisk ('*') when you do name lookup for numbers in SMS, call history etc.

I hope you think this is a nice feature and would like to add it yo the great product MyPhoneExplorer.

ICE number is well known by rescue workers in several countries in Europe, see ICE number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency

Thanks in advance! Smile
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Dez 23, 2011 23:33 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I do understand the task. MyPhoneExplorer does compare only the number. The reason is that many people save their number with formatting. f.e. 0123 456-789, and thise should be lookable. I could implement an exception for numbers ending with asterisk but the question is: is this a common standard or is it just a trick used by some users ?

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
Henke

BeitragVerfasst am: Di Dez 27, 2011 10:02 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

I have my ICE-contacts saved this way. If I remember correctly, the Swedish site "promoting" you to save ICE-contact in your phone told me to do this so they wouldn't disturb me when I get calls

/Henke
wroom

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Dez 29, 2011 14:48 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

FJ hat Folgendes geschrieben:
is this a common standard or is it just a trick used by some users ?

Sorry for my delayed response, I was on vacation.

I assume it's standardized, but I'm not sure. I tried to find it in the ITU-T standards, but didn't find anything.

Anyway, I would say it's more than a trick, at least it's implemented in at Sony Ericsson legacy phones, Nokia phones and Android and as Henke commented it's recommended by at least Swedish authorities.

In my opinion it would be safe to implement it as you say and very helpful for anyone using ICE contacts Smile
streaker_67

BeitragVerfasst am: Fr Dez 30, 2011 08:58 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

The same that is already mention is something that is extremely common in the US as well. the same thing mentioned is also done here for ICE numbers.
FJ
Site Admin

BeitragVerfasst am: Do Jan 12, 2012 00:43 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

OK, i decided to implement it as suggested in the next version

Bitte benutzt auch die Forum-Suche bzw. die FAQ
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht sendenE-Mail sendenICQ-Nummer
wroom

BeitragVerfasst am: Sa Jan 14, 2012 23:08 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Good news, thanks!
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.