FJ Software Foren-Übersicht  
 Homepage   •  Suchen   •  FAQ   •  Mitgliederliste   •  Registrieren   •  Login
 Notes/Tasks improvement idea for your consideration Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen
Autor Nachricht
AnrDaemon

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Mai 06, 2015 00:41 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Thank you for a very useful piece of software!

For a long while, I was longing for a very specific set of features, which, I believe, could drastically improve the usability of MPE notes and tasks.

0. Add special display mode for notes: Full screen single note.
Use case(quite common for me): I ordered tickets online. I drop the order data into a MPE note. When I walk to the booth, the girl at the other side of glass panel could find them by my family name, if family name was giving ambiguous results, then by given name, midname, other data… but frankly, she could just use the order id and get the results first time.
Right now, the only comparable option is to enter note edit mode and hide down the keyboard. However, the text size in this case depends on your device and in many cases "leaves much to be desired" for the task at hands.
The actually desired result is a text as big as possible to fit entire note into a single screen.
The button to enter such mode may present something like an eye?

1. Get rid of "Header" field when entering tasks.
Infer the header automatically from entered text: first ten words of a task text, or a first line, whichever is shorter. This should simplify the process of entering tasks, removing additional step of switching between fields. It is really unnecessary work that could be easily automated.
No need to alter the database format for this change, although there will(may?) be some overhead in storage. Regrettable, but the change should be worth it, I hope.

2. Allow creation of "Category" tasks. Or simply allow for selection of arbitrary other task the current one depends upon. More generic approach is tempting, but it may easily prove overwhelming, if you have a list of tasks that don't fit the screen scrollback.
A task that has assigned "parent" task should be displayed as
Code:
<parent color tag><parent header>: <task header>
- something like "<red>family: Visit mom's place for Thanksgiving" and sorted according to parent's severity rules.
As you can see from the presented use case, this may prove beneficial in organizing your tasks by certain category. You can already achieve the same effect by entering the prefix manually, but frankly, this is tedious.

3. Remove the separation between a task and a note. All tasks are notes(1), just with severity and/or due time attached. It is not the first time I had to copy entire note to create a task from it when time had come to make juice from fruits of mental garden.
The tasks widget will list notes with due time assigned, in the order of expiration, then notes with severity above normal but without due time, and so on, as usual.

4. Introduce the concept of "Postponed task." Every time the scheduler is triggered on a task, the task will pop up a notify event. xxx the event, the user will have a choice of
a) resolving the event, marking the task "completed";
b) postpone the event for a period of time picked from a quick list.
The quick list could contain values in this example range: (drawn from a different application, in which I shamelessly stole the idea)

5 min
10 min
15 min
30 min
45 min
1 hour
2 hours
3 hours
6 hours
9 hours
1 day
2 days
3 days
4 days
5 days
1 week
2 weeks
3 weeks

As you can see, the list is almost exhaustively covers a wide range of use cases. From "bug me in 10 min" to "oh, okay, next week… may be".
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
AnrDaemon

BeitragVerfasst am: Mi Mai 06, 2015 00:47 Antworten mit ZitatNach oben

Soo.. the word "c l i c k i n g" is considered xxx?
That's new.
Benutzer-Profile anzeigenPrivate Nachricht senden
Neues Thema eröffnenNeue Antwort erstellen

Gehe zu:   

Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen
Du kannst keine Beiträge in dieses Forum schreiben.
Du kannst auf Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht antworten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht bearbeiten.
Du kannst deine Beiträge in diesem Forum nicht löschen.
Du kannst an Umfragen in diesem Forum nicht mitmachen.